Sunday 13 March 2011

Society of Genealogists articles

For a year in 1999 and 2000 I was archivist at the Society of Genealogists in London and contributed to a weekly e-newsletter, which went to members, about the records held by the Society. I had thought that the newsletter had disappeared in the ether, but one of my clients pointed out that they can still be found on Rootsweb. I have rescued them and dusted them down and have posted them here.

I have hardly edited them at all, so when I talk about the Upper Library I am talking about the collections which are now in the Lower Library or basement. The Special Collections are specific collections generally of genealogical research which have been deposited by members or more often their executors. The Document Collection are odd items - generally loose sheets of paper or odd documents - which are arranged by surname.

Some of the non-SoG resources are now online and the Public Record Office is now The National Archives.

You can find out more about the Society of Genealogists at www.sog.org.uk

I have to say I am pleased at how well the articles read after a period of nearly a dozen years.

The Society is now celebrating its centenary. Happy birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment